Call to Order: HRC President Keith Cunningham called the July Regular meeting of the Hebron Redevelopment Commission to order at 7:01 p.m. at which time all attendees recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
Commissioners present: Keith Cunningham (KC), Kim Mouratides (KM), Mike Reick (MR),
Commissioners absent: Kevin Joseph (KJ), Jeff Nilsen (JN)
Liaisons/Consultants present: DeSCo (JM), Stephanie Mathews (SM)
Liaisons/Consultants absent: none
Attending Guests: Merle Foresman
Summary of Actions Taken:
AA1 – The agenda for the meeting was set
AA3 – Meeting Minutes were approved for June
SP1 – Hawk Bucks press releases and bill stuffers were approved for release
OB1 – Press releases and church bulletin inserts for the Skilled Trades Olympics were approved for release
OB3 – A handheld recording device was approved for purchase
NB1 – A favorable recommendation was approved for Council on a new Town Hall
NB2 – DeSCo was directed to add detail to the deal structure for Project 119
- Approval of Agenda: The agenda was approved as presented.
- (KM) moved to accept the agenda, (MR) seconded; Motion passed (3-0)
- Meeting Minute Approval: The minutes for June 7, 2017 were presented and reviewed.
- (KM) moved to approve; (MR) seconded; Motion passed (3-0).
- Treasury Expenditures: no claims were presented from the Clerk/Treasurers office for approval
- Non-Financial Signatures (JM) The minutes of the June meeting were added to the treasury expenditures for signature.
Strategic Plan Business:
- Hawk Bucks. (JM) DeSCo presented an update on the Hawk Bucks program. With 11 participating merchants, the program is off to a good start. DeSCo requested approval to distribute a press release. A draft press release was distributed for review.
- (KM) moved to approve with edits; (MR) seconded; Motion passed (3-0).
- Community of Murals. (JM) DeSCo informed the Commissioners that Kresge Foundation approval was expected in July.
- Skilled Trades Olympics. (JM) DeSCo presented both a draft press release and church flyer to try to drum up volunteers for the inaugural Skilled Trades Olympics. A total of 10 volunteers is needed from the community.
- (MR) moved to approve the release of both documents; (KM) seconded; Motion passed (3-0).
- Water/Sewer/Drainage Map Updates. (JM) The water, sewer, and drainage map had been started. Expected completion time is about 90 days.
- Project Refresh. (JM) DeSCo gave an update on Project Refresh with updated expenditures versus budget. Both Interior and Exterior were completing within budget. Anticipated completion should occur by mid-July. The addition of a hand-held recording device, originally not included in the project scope, was advised so that meetings could be recorded in Assembly Boardroom or off site as needed. Funds for the device were available in the outstanding budget.
- (KC) moved to purchase the recording device; (KM) seconded; Motion passed (3-0).
- TIF Audit Challenge. (JM) A summary of the meeting with Porter County Vicki Urbanik was reported. Parcels to be added and removed from the TIF were put before the Auditor’s office who committed to making the changes as quickly as possible.
- Town Hall Project. (KC) Commissioner Cunningham reviewed an opportunity for a replacement town hall for Hebron. The building under consideration offered an ability to consolidate all Town functions under one roof (other than Police and Fire) while also opening up the SE corner of SR 8 & 2 to redevelopment. DeSCo circulated a possible deal structure for the HRC to consider. After discussion, DeSCo was directed to schedule a walkthrough of the building at 6:30 p.m. on 7/18.
- (KC) moved to forward a positive recommendation to Town Council that the opportunity be considered; (MR) seconded; Motion passed (3-0).
- Project 119. (JM) The vacated parcel at 119 presents a classic economic development opportunity for the HRC. The market value of the building and its condition are significant issues to be considered in pricing an offer. DeSCo presented a deal structure reflective of both issues.
- (MR) moved to have DeSCo prepare a more detailed budget for the project prior to taking action; (KM) seconded; Motion passed (3-0).
- TIF Boundary Changes. (JM) As a result of a TIF audit, DeSCo is recommending that two areas be added to the TIF district. The properties NW of the intersection of SR 2 & 8 and the balance of the Pines properties on the north end of the district.
- Project Updates. (JM) DeSCo provided updates on two economic development efforts.
- PCEDA. (JM) DeSCo updated the HRC on regional economic development efforts.
- MSD Financial Request. Stephanie Mathews asked when the MSD financial request would be considered. It was recommended that it be added to the August meeting agenda.
Adjournment: (KC) motioned to adjourn the meeting at 7:46 p.m.; (MR) seconded; motion passed (3-0).
Next Meeting: Wednesday, August 2, 2017. Public Meeting @ 7:00 PM
Keith Cunningham, HRC President Kim Mouratides, HRC Secretary